|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Fortis Green, East Finchley, N2
|1916 - 1920
Convalescent (military, later civilian)
a large mansion built around 1822, became an auxiliary
hospital and convalescent home for wounded servicemen during WW1.
It had 40 beds and was affiliated to the Edmonton Military Hospital. It was run by the local Voluntary Aid Detachment. Dr J.W. Hicks was the officer-in-charge.
As the casualties of the war mounted, by 1917 the number of beds had increased to 100. By end of the war in 1918 there were 75 beds.
When the war ended in 1918, the bedding was donated to the Finchley Cottage Hospital (whose children's ward was later named Summerlee).
When the loan of Summerlee expired in 1920, the Management Committee of the Great Northern Central Hospital purchased Grovelands in Southgate for use as a convalescent home.
The mansion house, along with the other 'country estates' along Fortis Green such as Fairlawn, Park Hall and Springcroft, has been demolished. They have all been replaced by new roads and housing. The Summerlee estate is now Summerlee Avenue.
Looking along Fortis Green and the turn-off to Summerlee Avenue .
Looking down Summerlee Avenue from Fortis Green (left) and from Southern Road (right).
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Fenn CR 1919 Middlesex to Wit. London, St Catherine Press.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page