|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Swedish War Hospital
16 Paddington Street, Marylebone, W1U 5AS
|1914 - 1918
The Central Institute for Swedish Gymnastics for men had been founded in October 1911 by Allan Broman (1861-1847), a pioneer of medical gymnastics.
In 1914, at the outbreak of WW1, the building became the Swedish War Hospital for British Wounded, while Broman undertook recruit training for the new armies. The Hospital had been been founded and was maintained by the Swedish Chamber of Commerce in London, an organisation which had been established in 1906.
The Hospital closed at the end of the war in 1918.
Present status (May 2010)
Soon after the war the building was purchased from Allan Broman by the LCC for about £18,000, and it became the LCC College of Physical Education.
Today it is the Hellenic Centre.
The Hellenic Centre.
Completed in 1910, the building opened in 1911 as the Central Institute for Swedish Gymnastics.
The stone carving above the entrance door bears the legend 'Swedish Gymnastics'.
A memorial plaque to the Hospital is carved on the front wall.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page