|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Syon House Auxiliary Hospital
Riding School, Syon House, Park Road, Brentford,
Middlesex TW8 8JG
|1916 - 1919
The Syon House Auxiliary Hospital was established by Helen Magdalen, Duchess of Northumberland, in June 1916. It had 30 beds and occupied the Riding School, the floor of which had been adapted to make it suitable for use as a hospital.
The Duchess acted as Commandant of the Hospital, which was staffed by members of the Middlesex/64 Voluntary Air Detachment (which was also involved in the running of the County of Middlesex Red Cross Hospital at Hanworth Park).
By 1917 the Hospital had 35 beds and was affiliated to the Fulham Military Hospital.
It closed in January 1919.
Present status (August 2010)
The Grade II listed Riding School building is now part of the Syon Park Garden Centre.
The archway entrance to Syon Park.
Syon House remains the home of the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland. It is open for visitors and also serves as a venue for weddings and corporate events.
The former Riding School (above and below) with its Diocletian windows.
The 28-bay iron roof of composite truss structure, built around 1820, is an early example of iron construction.
A blue plaque gives the history of the Riding School: The Riding School, built in the 1820s by the third Duke of Northumberland, was designed by Charles Fowler, architect of the Great Conservatory. Its compacted peat floor was cemented over for hospital use in the First World War. The spacious interior is notable for its distinctive roof design, a light iron structure which is thought to be unique.
A blue plaque for the Garden Centre (left) states: The Garden Centre, established by permission of the tenth Duke of Northumberland, was officially opened in June 1968 by Her Majesty the Queen Mother. It includes the nineteenth-century Riding School, Stables and Coach House, which can still be seen, as can the much older Monastery Barn. The outdoor plant area was once an exercise ground for the estate horses. The plaque for The Stables (right) bears the legend: The stable block connecting the Coach House and the Riding School was built to replace the old wooden stables which were demolished around 1790. Up to seventeen horses were stabled here, the upper storey serving as accommodation for the stable hands. The original stalls, mangers, drinking troughs and flooring have been preserved.
30th December 2013)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Fenn CR 1919 Middlesex to Wit. London, St Catherine Press.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page