|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Thomas Barlow Home
80 Shepherds Hill, Highgate, N6 5RH
|1950 - 1980s
In 1950 University College Hospital opened the Thomas Barlow Home as an annexe of the Geriatric Unit at St Pancras Hospital. It was one of the first teaching hospitals to take up the offer from the King Edward's Hospital Fund for London to provide financial assistance in establishing such homes.
Presumably named after the surgeon Sir Thomas Barlow (1845-1945), the Home had 27 beds in 1966, and 24 in 1976.
Following a major reorganisation of the NHS in 1974, the Home came under the control of the South Camden (Teaching) District Health Authority, part of the Camden and Islington (Teaching) Area Health Authority. It had 24 beds.
It closed in the early 1980s.
Present status (February 2009)
The building, on the corner of Shepherds Hill and Coolhurst Road, has now been converted into apartments.
No. 80 Shepherds Hill is the semi-detached house on the left of the image, and No. 78 on the right.
The entrance to No. 80 is the brown door on the left.
The side elevation on Coolhurst Road.
A glass conservatory had been added to the back of the building.
|References (Accessed 4th July 2015)
Author unstated 1951 The Care of the Aged Sick. The Story of an Experiment in Providing Homes for Aged Patients Within the National Health Service. London, King Edward's Hospital Fund for London.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page