|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
50 Reigate Hill, Reigate, Surrey RH2 9NL
|1914 - 1919
At the outbreak of WW1 the Ward Convalescent Home for Children in Reigate was transformed into a Class B military convalescent hospital by the Hon. Mrs John Ward.
The Ward Hospital opened in Ocober 1914 with 18 beds. The nursing staff comprised three Red Cross nurses. By November the Hospital was caring for 16 wounded Belgian and British servicemen.
In December 1914 Queen Alexandra and Princess Victoria visited, speaking to each of the men. The Wards accompanied the Royal party; each patient received the gift of a cigarette case or tobacco pouch with his name inscribed on it.
By the end of March 1915 all the beds were occupied. On 28th September the Hospital became affiliated with the Horton (County of London) War Hospital.
The Hospital closed on 15th January 1919.
Present status (March 2012)
In the early 1960s the property was demolished and its site redeveloped. It now contains Hartlington Close, a gated residential estate.
|References (Accessed 15th November 2014)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) 1917 The passing bell. British Journal of Nursing, 20th January, 28.
Lord JR 1920 The Story of the Horton (Co. of London) War Hospital: Epsom. Its Inceptions and Work and Some Reflections. London, W. Heinemann.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page