|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
West Hatch Hospital
High Road, Chigwell, Essex IG7 8BH
|1930 - 1992
During the 1930s Great West Hatch, a mansion built around 1800, became a home for mentally handicapped young women, as a branch of the Royal Eastern Counties Institution for Mental Defectives.
In 1938 the LCC took over its management, as well as the neighbouring house, Little West Hatch, which was also used as accommodation for such patients.
In 1948 both branches joined the NHS and became part of the South Ockendon Institution for Mental Defectives, under the control of the South Ockendon Hospital Management Committee. Patients were transferred to Great and Little West Hatch from various branches of the Institution, such as Leytonstone House and Bramley House.
In 1966 Little West Hatch closed.
In 1974 Great West Hatch had 65 beds but, by 1979, the number had been reduced to 47.
In 1988 it was renamed West Hatch Hospital.
In 1991, when it was part of the West Essex Health Authority, it had 33 beds.
The West Hatch Hospital closed in 1992.
Present status (March 2008)
The Grade II listed Great West Hatch manor house remains. The house has been converted into apartments and is part of a gated housing development of 12 dwellings - Cedar Park - set in 6 acres of parklands.
Little West Hatch, also a listed building, is presumably a private dwelling.
The gates to Cedar Park, the former Great West Hatch Hospital, on the High Road (left) and the side gate on the west side of Luxborough Lane (right).
The Regency-style Little West Hatch is next-door to Great West Hatch, on the corner of the east side of Luxborough Lane and the High Road.
|References (Accessed 29th January 2019)
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page