|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Hall Road, Northfleet, Kent DA11 8BL
|1939 - 1945
1990 - 1994
Acute. Later, nursing home.
During WW2 (1939-1945) Wombwell Hall, a large Italianate mansion built in 1860, became a hospital for wounded gunners from the Tollgate and Green Street anti-aircraft batteries.
After the war the house and its grounds were sold to Kent County Council. It became a Girls' Technical School and, later, the Northfleet Grammar School for Girls.
The School closed in 1988 and the site was sold to Takare Ltd for about £200,000 on the understanding that the mansion would be restored. The building became part of a nursing home for the elderly run by Takare Ltd.
In February 1992, when St James House in Joyce Green Hospital closed, its elderly patients were transferred to the Hall.
Wombwell Hall closed to patients in early 1994.
Present status (March 2010)
Despite the efforts of local residents, councillors and historians to preserve the building, Wombwell Hall was unexpectedly demolished over the Easter weekend in 1994.
Only the Lodge, the stable block and the boundary wall have survived.
The original entrance drive from Hall Road is no longer a main access road, but the gateway and the Lodge remain, as does the stone wall along Hall Road.
The stable block and its tower are visible among the surrounding single-storey buildings.
At the north end of the site is the Wombwell Hall Nursing Home, run by B.U.P.A.
Most of the original grounds of Wombwell Hall are now taken up by the Hedgerows Estate, a housing development centred on the spine road Wombwell Gardens.
|References (Accessed 13th April 2016)
to alphabetical list
Return to home page