Hospital for Officers
24 Park Street, Mayfair, W1K 2SR
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1914 - 1919


The Hospital for Officers at 24 Park Street opened on 19th November 1914 in a house lent by Mr Granville Farquhar.  It had 19 beds and was designated a Class A Hospital.  The nursing staff consisted of 4 trained nurses, and 20 full-time and 25 part-time members of Voluntary Aid Detachments from the Westminster Division.

Affiliated with Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital at Millbank, it was one of the few auxiliary hospitals in London that received casualties directly from abroad instead of via a military hospital (the others were the Weir Hospital, the Gerstley-Hoare Hospital and Mrs F.W. Salisbury-Jones' Hospital for Officers at 27 Berkeley Square.

By the spring of 1915 the beds were almost always occupied and their number was gradually increased from 19 to 28.  In 1915 the Duke of Westminster gave permission for the patients to use the garden.

The Hospital closed on 15th February 1919.  Some 1,004 patients had been treated there during the war, of whom only 3 had died.

Present status (June 2010)

The building is probably now used for offices.

    24 Park St
The entrance to No. 24 Park Street was altered apparently just before WW1 and is now in Mount Street.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom.  London, H.M.S.O.

(Author unstated) 1925 The British Red Cross Society.  County of London Branch Annual Reports 1914-1924.  London, Harrison & Sons.
Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page