Abele Grove
Dorking Road, Epsom, Surrey KT18 7LB
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1908 - 1914

Mental (licensed house)
In 1908 Abele Grove became a private nursing home for aged or infirm ladies and gentlemen.  It also had licenses to operate as a private mental institution.

The Georgian-style house, built in the early 19th century, stood in about 6 acres of lawns and pleasure grounds, with a wooded grove, a dell and a kitchen garden.  The building contained 10 bedrooms with dressing rooms, a bathroom, three reception rooms and a billiard room, as well as a kitchen and offices.

The nursing home presumably closed in 1914 at the outbreak of WW1.

Present status (January 2012)

The property was then occupied by Henry James Delaforce, of the family of port wine merchants Delaforce, until 1928, when it was purchased by the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts, a French order, for use as a convent and school.

The Convent and School closed in 1992.

In 1997 the Grade II listed building was converted into the Haywain, a public house.

Abele Grove
Abele Grove was Grade II listed in 1974.

Abele Grove
The building, as seen from the east on Dorking Road.
References (Accessed 21st Deptember 2018)

Corden H 2012 Abele Grove (Convent of the Sacred Heart), part 2.  Epsom Civic Society Newsletter 134, 1.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk (1)
https://britainfromabove.org.uk (2)
Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page