|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Mrs T.S. Hall Hospital
for Australian Nurses
12 Southwell Gardens, South Kensington, SW7 4RL
|1917 - 1919
The Mrs T.S. Hall Hospital for Australian Nurses was officially opened on 30th June 1917 by Mr Fisher, the High Commissioner for Australia. It had been placed under the auspices of the Australian Red Cross and provided nursing and medical care for sick nurses from Australia (by this time some 1,600 Australian nurses were working in European war hospitals).
The Hospital had 26 beds and an operating theatre. The wards contained a varying amount of beds, depending on the size of the rooms. The largest had 9 beds and there were a number of single rooms. The beds were covered with light green quilts, which harmonised with crimson screens.
On the ground floor were the drawing room, furnished with comfortable chairs, and the dining room, the walls of which were decorated with Japanese pictures (lent specially to the Hospital).
Not only had Mrs Hall donated the property, but she acted as Commandant of the Hospital. She had entire charge of the domestic arrangements and provide the food and the labour. The Australian Imperial Force supplied the medical and nursing staff, and the orderlies.
The nursing staff consisted of a Matron and 3 Sisters.
The Hospital presumably closed in 1919.
Present status (November 2012)
The house has been converted into apartments.
The entrance of the building on the corner of Southwell Gardens and Grenville Place.
The building being a corner house ensured that all the wards were sunny and cheerful.
(Author unstated) 1917 Nursing and the war. British Journal of Nursing, 14th July, 21.
(Author unstated) 1917 A hospital for nurses. British Journal of Nursing, 21st July, 39.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page