Boreham Wood Relief Hospital
Underfield, Allum Way, Borehamwood, Herts WD6 3LG
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1915 ? - 1918 ?

Convalescent (military)
In 1915 Mrs Janving Dickson gave over her house Underfield for use as an auxiliary military hospital.

Known as the Boreham Wood Relief Hospital, it had 8 beds and was affiliated to the Third London General Hospital.

It presumably closed at the end of the war in 1918.


No further details have (as yet) come to light regarding the history of Boreham Wood Relief Hospital, but if you have any information please contact:


Present status (October 2011)

The building has been demolished and its site is now occupied by new housing.

Fir Tree Court
The mouth of Fir Tree Court, off Allum Lane,  is the entrance of the original driveway for Underfield.

Hill Crest Lodge
An apartment block - Hill Crest Lodge - occupies the sites of Underfield and Hill Crest.
References (Accessed 25th August 2016)

Carrington B 1995 Care in Crisis.  Hertfordshire British Red Cross 1907-1994.  Towcester, Baron Birch for Quotes Ltd.

Russell E, Russell Q 2015 Watford and South West Herts in the Great War.  Barnesley, Pen & Sword Military.


Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page