|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Cheshunt Community Hospital
King Arthur Court, Crossbrook Street, Cheshunt,
Waltham Cross, Herts EN8 8XN
|1998 - current
The Cheshunt Community Hospital opened in 1998 to replace the Cottage Hospital in Church Lane. It was under the management of the Chase Farm Hospital NHS Trust.
In 2000, with the merger of two NHS Trusts, it came under the control of Barnet and Chase Farm Hospitals NHS Trust.
The Hospital was enlarged in 2006, with the Mayor of Broxbourne, Cllr Mark Farrington, opening the new extension on 13th September 2006. The extension, which doubled the size of the Hospital, had cost £2.6m, paid for jointly by the NHS and the Borough Council (which had contributed the land and some £800,000).
Present status (July 2009)
The Hospital provides out-patient services only to the local population of the Upper and Lower Lea Valley. In today's fragmented NHS, some 12 Trusts and contractors provide services, namely the Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust, Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust, Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust, Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust, Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust, Central London Community Healthcare NHS Trust, NHS 111 Herts Out of Hours GP Service, Royal Free Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Haverstock Healthcare, North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust, East and North Herts Hospitals NHS Trust and Isobel Hospice.
There is a Minor Injuries Unit.
UPDATE: March 2016
On 12th October 2015 a plaque to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the death of Edith Cavell was installed on the outside of the building. Edith Cavell, a British nurse who had worked at Cheshunt Cottage Hospital as a temporary Matron in August 1901, was shot by firing squad during WW1 in German-occupied Belgium for helping Allied soldiers to escape.
The Hospital was built behind the Library and the Court House in a land swap with the NHS.
The main entrance.
|References (Accessed 29th March 2016)
to alphabetical list
Return to home page