|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Countess of Dundonald's Hospital
87 Eaton Square, Belgravia, SW1W 9AG
|1916 - 1917
The Countess of Dundonald's Hospital opened in January 1916. The house in Eaton Square had been bought by the philanthropist Winifred Cochrane, Countess of Dundonald (1859-1924), who also equipped it as a hospital and paid for its maintenance with the cooperation of those who had given beds.
The Hospital had 60 beds for sick and wounded servicemen and was affiliated to Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital in Millbank. At first it was managed by the Hon. Margaret Amherst, a sister of the Baroness Amherst of Hackney, and members of the Norfolk/110 Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.), who had obtained permission to transfer to the London area.
By 1917 the Hospital was staffed by 3 Medical Officers and 3 trained nurses, assisted by members of the London/248 St John's V.A.D., of which Mrs Edith Georges was the Commandant.
The Hospital closed in August 1917.
Present status (May 2010)
No. 87 Eaton Square no longer exists separately. Rebuilding has amalgamated Nos. 85 to 88, which have been converted into apartments. The entrance to the block is at No. 86.
The former houses, now divided into apartments, along the west side of Eaton Square.
The entrance to the block is at No. 86, with No. 87 to the north.
The blue plaque relates to No. 86 Eaton Square.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page