|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Astley Hospital for Officers
Dorchester House, Park Lane, W1K 1QK
The Astley Hospital for Officers opened in Dorchester House in November 1914 (it was also known as the Dorchester House Hospital for Officers). The building, once the American Embassy and home of the ambassador Whitelaw Reid (1837-1912) until his death, had been lent by its owner, Lt Col Sir George Holford.
The Hospital had 25 beds initially, 18 of which were in rooms overlooking Hyde Park. The ballroom was made into a sitting room for the convalescents, while other parts of the house were converted into wards and dormitories.
It was affiliated to Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital. The Sister-in-charge was Miss Muriel Wilson, of the wealthy family of ship owners Thomas Wilson Sons & Co, while Lady Sybil Grey (1882-1966) acted as Commandant of the local Voluntary Aid Detachment. Sir Alfred Fripp, Surgeon in Ordinary to the King, was responsible for the medical care.
Present status (June 2010)
The palatial building was sold in 1929 to Gordon Hotels Ltd. It was demolished in 1929 and the Dorchester Hotel built on its site.
The Dorchester Hotel opened in 1931.
(Author unstated) 1914 Famous house a hospital. New York Times, 14th November.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Bowser T 2003 The Story of British V.A.D. Work in the Great War. London, Imperial War Museum (facsimile).
to alphabetical list
Return to home page