|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Finchley Isolation Hospital
Summers Lane, Finchley, N12 0PD
|1889 - 1922
Isolation. Later, smallpox.
In April 1889 the Finchley Local Board of Health opened its own Hospital for Infectious Diseases near a sewage farm in Summers Lane. It had 10 beds for patients with scarlet fever.
By 1894 a site adjacent to the Hospital had been acquired and the foundations laid for a temporary smallpox block. When this was in use, the Hospital had 18 beds.
During the smallpox epidemic of 1902 some 35 cases were reported in the area. An arrangement was made with Hornsey Urban District Council that its smallpox cases would be accepted at the Hospital, while patients from Finchley with scarlet fever, diphtheria or typhoid fever would be admitted to the Hornsey Isolation Hospital in Coppetts Road, Muswell Hill.
In 1913 the Hospital had 24 beds.
In closed in 1922 when the boroughs of Finchley and Wood Green agreed with Hornsey to share the costs of its Isolation Hospital.
Present status (March 2009)
The former Hospital site is now mainly occupied by the Glebelands allotments. The Royal British Legion built the North Finchley British Legion Branch and Club on part of the site (this closed in 2012).
The view along Legion Way (the road is presumably named after the Royal British Legion clubhouse).
Much of the Hospital site is now given over to allotments.
Several buildings, including the British Legion clubhouse, occupy the site.
|References (Accessed 13th January 2019)
Clothier H 1902 Hornsey Urban District. In: Sykes JFJ (ed) Report for the Year 1902. County Council of Middlesex, 171.
Coates H 1911 Annual Report of the Medical Office of Health. Borough of Hornsey, 64.
Prior JR 1914 Annual Report of the Medical Officer of Health. Urban District of Finchley, 25.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page