|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Home for Little Sick Babies
(Medical Mission of the
45, 47 and 49 Harman Street, Hoxton, N1
|1904 - 1935
In 1904 the Medical Mission of the Good Shepherd, based in three houses in Harman Street, opened the Home for Little Sick Babies.
The Home contained 10 cots for the treatment of babies and young children suffering from acute medical conditions, mainly lung diseases - bronchitis and pneumonia - but also wasting, general debility, vomiting and diarrhoea. Most cases were referred from the Maternity and Child Welfare Department of the Borough of Shoreditch.
The Medical Mission ran a School for Mothers, which included infant consultations and a pure milk depot. Mothercraft was taught and lectures were given on health matters. There was a Maternity Provident Club. The Out-Patients Department provided medical advice for children up to the age of 14 years, and medicine could be bought for 2d (1p). The Mission also provided district nursing care and midwifery services.
By 1912 the Home had 12 cots.
In 1931 the Medical Mission buildings had reached a very dilapidated state. A new bathroom was needed in No. 49 (there was only one available for the 15-16 members of staff). Two old cots in the Home had become faulty and were replaced.
In the early 1930s a doctor visited every day and was available in case of emergency. The nursing staff consisted of a Matron, a Sister, a night nurse and 3 probationers.
By May 1935 the Medical Officer of Health for Shoreditch considered the premises unsatisfactory, which may have reflected the desire of the Borough to abolish voluntary institutions.
The Home closed in June 1935.
Present status (January 2010)
The buildings have been demolished. Indeed, the whole street has been erased. The area has been redeveloped and now contains apartment blocks along Stanway Street.
Looking along Stanway Street, which replaced the western half of Harman Street. Hoxton Trust Community Garden is on the right.
A clock tower from the former Eastern Hospital is located in the Hoxton Trust Community Garden.
A high rise block now occupies the eastern half of Harman Street, as seen from the west (above) and from the east (below).
The name 'Harman Street' survives as the name of the Estate.
|References (Accessed 15th May 2018)
Author unstated (1914) Return of the Voluntary Health Societies in London. London, H.M.S.O.
Radford M 1931 Report on the Health and Sanitary Condition of the Borough of Shoreditch. London, Metropolitan Borough of Shoreditch, p.136.
Radford M 1932 Report on the Health and Sanitary Condition of the Borough of Shoreditch. London, Metropolitan Borough of Shoreditch, p.134.
Radford M 1933 Report on the Health and Sanitary Condition of the Borough of Shoreditch. London, Metropolitan Borough of Shoreditch, p.133.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page