Auxiliary Hospital for Officers
1 Harcourt House, 19 Cavendish Square, W1G 0AJ
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1915 - 1918

Convalescent (military)

In 1915 Mrs Dous, an American living in London, rented an apartment in Harcourt House for use as an auxiliary hospital.

The Auxiliary Hospital for Officers, affiliated with Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital at Millbank, opened in September 1915 with 7 beds.  The Joint War Committee had supplied the beds and equipment and also paid the Matron's salary.  The War Office gave a capitation grant towards the running costs of 3 shillings (15p) a day per occupied bed, and the balance of expenditure was met half by Mrs Dous and half by the Joint War Committee. 

In July 1918 the War Office ceased to pay its contribution and the Joint War Committee took over this responsibility.  Mrs Dous continued to pay a quarter of the expenses until the Hospital closed in December 1918.

The Joint War Committee paid for restoration and redecoration of the apartment to return it to its pre-war state.

Present status (July 2010)

The building is still an apartment block containing residences and various healthcare practices.

Harcourt House
Harcourt House.

Harcourt House
The main entrance.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom.  London, H.M.S.O.

(Author unstated) 1921 Reports by the Joint War Committee and the Joint War Finance Committee of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John of Jerusalem in England on Voluntary Aid Rendered to the Sick and Wounded at Home and Abroad and to British Prisoners of War, 1914-1919. London, HMSO (reprinted in facsimile, 2009. The Naval and Military Press Ltd in association with the Imperial War Museum).

Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page