Hayes Grove Auxiliary Hospital
Prestons Road, Hayes, Kent  BR2 7AS
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1914 -1916

Convalescent (military)
At the outbreak of WW1 in 1914, the merchant banker and philanthropist Sir Everard Hambro (1842-1925) lent his property Hayes Grove to the British Red Cross Society for one year for use as an auxiliary hospital.  It was one of the three houses in the area offered to the Society (the other were The Warren and Coney Hill).

Hayes Grove Auxiliary Hospital opened in October 1914 with 20 beds (later increased to 24 beds).  Sir Everard had supplied the equipment and also gave £5 a week towards the Hospital's upkeep.  The Kent/82 Voluntary Aid Department provided nursing and general staff.

The Hospital closed in May 1916, as did The Warren and Coney Hall.  The staff transferred to other hospitals or wartime duties.

Present status (August 2009)

The building was used as a convalescent home for sick nurses from the London Hospital until it closed in 1961.

Today it is the Priory Hospital Hayes Grove, providing in-patient psychiatric care as well as specialist out-patient therapy.

Hayes Grove
The main building.
Hayes Grove
Various outbuildings are also in use.
Creswick P, Pond GS and Ashton PH 1915 Kent's Care for the Wounded.  London, Hodder & Stoughton.

Walker J 1979 The British Red Cross in the Bromley area 1910-1919.  Bromley Local History 4, 17-23.

Walker JE (undated) An account of the British Red Cross Society in West Wickham, Kent 1870-1970.  Unpublished document filed at the Archives Department, British Red Cross Society, Moorgate.


Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page