|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Hendon Isolation Hospital
Goldsmith Avenue, Hendon, NW4
|1890 - 1984
Isolation, acute. Later, geriatric
A small fever hospital built in 1890 on Renters Lane, adjacent to the Hendon Sewage Works (off a footpath which is now Hendon Way), was replaced in 1929 by the Hendon Isolation Hospital in Goldsmith Avenue, south of Kingsbury Road.
Originally with 86 beds, the Hospital was expanded, with two new ward blocks being built between 1929 and 1940.
By 1970, when it had 103 beds, the Hospital had ceased treating acute cases and had become a geriatric hospital.
It closed in 1984.
Present status (December 2007)
The Hospital has been demolished and the site redeveloped for social housing.
The original site near the Hendon Sewage Works, as seen from the old footpath (now the A41), has been developed into a housing estate.
The interior of the housing estate.
The remains of an old wall along Hendon Way could perhaps date from the time of the original isolation hospital.
The site of the former Hospital off Goldsmith Avenue.
Pendragon Walk - villagey terraces on the Hospital site.
Small apartment blocks on the site of the Northgate Clinic.
The Northgate Clinic was built in 1968 within the Hospital grounds by the North West Metropolitan Regional Health Board to provide treatment for 25 psychopaths. The building closed in the late 1990s. However, the clinic has evolved into the Northgate Clinic, a specialist adolescent clinic, which opened in 2004 at the Edgware Community Hospital. The Clinic is run by the Barnet Enfield and Haringay Mental Health NHS Trust.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page