|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Portsmouth Road, Cobham, Surrey KT11 1BL
|1915 - 1918
In 1915, the cigarette manufacturer, Walter Butler, offered Heywood House to the War Office for use as an auxiliary military hospital.
The Heywood Auxiliary Military Hospital opened in August 1915 as a Class B hospital affiliated to Horton (County of London) War Hospital. It had 21 beds; Mr Butler's wife, Mildred Mary, acted as Commandant.
In 1917 the number of beds to doubled to 42. The Hospital became affiliated to Clandon Park Hospital, which had Lady Onslow (1883-1954) as its Commandant.
The Hospital presumably closed at the end of 1918.
In 1920 Mrs Butler received an O.B.E. for her services during the war.
Present status (June 2013)
The building is now the ACS Cobham International School. A new performing arts centre is currently under construction, to be completed by September 2014.
The entrance to the house off Portsmouth Road.
|References (Accessed 9th November 2014)
(Author unstated) 1917 Red Cross work in Surrey during 1917. British Red Cross Society Surrey Branch, 5th Annual Report.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page