Holly Park Auxiliary Hospital
Park House, Crouch Hill, Hornsey N4 4BL
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1915 - 1919

Convalescent (military)
The Holly Park Auxiliary Hospital opened in Park House on 9th December 1915.  It had 36 beds and was designated a Class A hospital (that is, it took wounded servicemen who were bedridden).  It was affiliated with the Endell Street Military Hospital but also received patients from the South African Military Hospital in Richmond Park.

The Hospital had five large airy wards.  A Recreation Hut had been built in the grounds.

The nursing staff consisted of one trained nurse, with 6 full-time and 25 part-time members of the local Voluntary Aid Detachment.

By 1917 it had 42 beds.

The Hospital closed on 20th April 1919.  Of the 291 patients admitted, none had died.  The low number of admissions reflects the seriousness of their injuries.

Present status (July 2010)

Park House has been demolished and the Holly Park Estate, built in 1952, occupies its site

Holly Park Estate  Holly Park Estate
Municipal housing now occupies the site of Park House.

Holly Park Estate
Perhaps the original boundary wall of Park House remains.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom.  London, H.M.S.O.

(Author unstated) 1925 The British Red Cross Society.  County of London Branch Annual Reports 1914-1924.  London, Harrison & Sons.

Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page