|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Red Cross Hospital
Kelsey Cottage, Kelsey Lane, Beckenham, Kent BR3 3LH
|1914 - 1915
The Kelsey Auxiliary Red Cross Hospital opened on November 1914 with 51 beds.
The Hospital was run by the Kent/96 Voluntary Aid Detachment and usually received the more lightly wounded soldiers.
When an auxiliary hospital opened in the Balgowan Road Schools in November 1915, Kelsey Cottage was returned to its owner, Mr Gurbey Preston.
Present status (December 2010)
The mansion was demolished in 1921. Housing has been built on its site.
The site on the corner of Kelsey Land and Uplands is now occupied by housing.
18th July 2014)
Creswick P, Pond GS, Ashton PH 1915 Kent's Care for the Wounded. London, Hodder & Stoughton.
Walker J 1979 The British Red Cross in the Bromley area 1910-1919. Bromley Local History 4, 17-23.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page