Ken Cottage Auxiliary Hospital
4 Crescent West, Hadley Wood, Herts
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1915 -1918

Convalescent (military)

In 1915 No. 4 Crescent West was lent by its owner, Mr. R.F. Sandon (who lived next door in No. 5, known as Ken Cottage), for use as a convalescent home for wounded servicemen.

The convalescent home was named the Ken Cottage Auxiliary Hospital and opened in March 1915.  It had 10 beds and was staffed by the Hertford/32 Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.), which had been established in the district before 1914 under the charge of a trained nursing Sister).  All cleaning, cooking and catering was undertaken by the housewives of Hadley Wood.

The Commandant of the V.A.D. was Miss Winifred Game, who was also in charge of the High Barnet V.A.D. Hospital in Ewen Hall, Barnet.

Present status (October 2010)

The house still exists, but the street has been renumbered and No. 4 is now No. 34.

A later owner of No. 5 - Mrs Leslie Lock - transferred the name 'Ken Cottage' to No. 46 Crescent West when she moved there.

Ken Cottage
The original No. 4 Crescent West, now No. 34.

Red Cross plaque
The plaque on the wall states "The British Red Cross Society and Order of St John gratefully acknowledge that this building was converted as used as an auxiliary hospital worked by a voluntary staff during the Great War".

Ken Cottage
The former No. 5 (Ken Cottage) and No. 4 Crescent West (Ken Cottage Auxiliary Hospital), now renumbered No. 35 and No. 34.
Clark N 1968 Hadley Wood.  Its Background and Development.  London, Ward Lock & Co.

Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page