Kenry House Hospital
for Officers
Kingston Hill, Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey KT2 7LB
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1917 - 1919

Convalescent (military)

Kenry House Hospital, the residence of the late Lady Dunraven, was lent to the British Red Cross Society by Lord Dunraven.  It opened in January 1917 as an auxiliary military hospital to the Third London (T.F.) General Hospital, receiving a capitation rate of 6 shillings (30p) a day.  All other expenses were met by the administrator, Mrs Alexander Mackenzie.

The nursing staff consisted of a Sister-in-Charge, 2 trained nurses, a masseur and 7 members of the local Voluntary Aid Detachment.

The Hospital had 22 beds and provided general treatment, massage, and radiant heat and electrical treatments.

The Hospital closed at the end of the war.

Present status (May 2010)

The building was used by the Army during WW2.  In 1949 it was acquired by the Gipsy Hill College of Education.  In 1975 the College merged with Kingston Polytechnic.

Kenry House is now part of Kingston University.

Kenry House
The main entrance to Kenry House.

Kenry House  
Kenry Lodge
The northern facade of the House (left).  Kenry Lodge at the entrance to the university campus on Kingston Hill (right).  
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom.  London, H.M.S.O.

Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page