Lamas Hospital
103 Lubbock Road, Chislehurst, Kent BR7 5LA
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1915 - 1919

Convalescent (military)
During WW1, in September 1915, when further accommodation was needed for wounded servicemen, the Kent/60 Voluntary Aid Detachment opened an annexe for Abbey Lodge Hospital in Lamas, a large house which had been used to house St Hugh's Preparatory School.  The School had moved to Malvern during the war and the premises were empty.

The annexe had 50 beds.

It closed on 31st March 1919, when its parent Hospital closed.

Present status (December 2011)

During WW2 the house was used as a refuge by the Barbican Mission for the Jews for Jewish children brought over from central Europe in 1939, just before war broke out.  It was renamed Mount Zion.

  The building was demolished in the 1970s and new housing occupies its site.
Site of Lamas   Site of Lamas
The gateposts and driveway of Lamas have survived.

Site of Lamas  
New housing now occupies the site.

  Lamas Memorial bench

At the junction of Lubbock Road and Old Hill, a memorial bench (above) with a plaque (below) commemorates the role of Revd and Mrs L.E. Davidson, and their friends, in rescuing the Jewish children from certain death in Nazi Germany.

Lamas Memorial bench
Lubbock Road

Lubbock Road is named in honour of the banker and Liberal politician Sir John Lubbock, Lord Avebury (1834-1913), who was instrumental in introducing the Bank Holidays Act, 1871.   He lived in Lamas from 1861 to 1865.

Lubbock Road had the distinction of being the location of six auxiliary military hospitals during WW1, all run by the Kent/60 V.A.D., but not all open at the same time.

 Lubbock Road

Walker J 1979 The British Red Cross in the Bromley area 1910-1919.  Bromley Local History 4, 17-23.

Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page