|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Merstham Red Cross
Chaldon Rise, Rockshaw Road, Merstham, Surrey RH1 3DB
|1914 - 1919
The Merstham Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital opened on 1st January 1915 in Chaldon Rise, a 9-bedroom house with 10 acres of grounds.
Staffed by the Surrey/84 Voluntary Aid Detachment, it initially had 25 beds. By the end of March 1915 it had 30 beds and was fully occupied. On 1st July 1916 it was affiliated to the Horton (County of London) War Hospital in Epsom as a Class B hospital. Some 167 sick and wounded servicemen were treated in 1916.
By 1917 the Hospital had 33 beds. A Recreation Room was built in the garden.
The Hospital closed on 10th March 1919.
Present status (August 2011)
The house is currently the Chaldon Rise Nursing Home. It has 34 beds and provides care for young and older adults with mental health disorders.
The Chaldon Rise Nursing Home.
Signage by the main entrance drive.
(Author unstated) (undated - ? 1954) Surrey Branch British Red Cross Society. Historical Summary. April 1907-31st December 1953. Aldershot, John Drew.
Lord JR 1920 The Story of the Horton (County of London) War Hospital, Epsom - Its Inception and Work and Some Reflections. London, Heinemann.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page