|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Mile End Hospital
275 Bancroft Road, Stepney, E1 4DG
|1859 - current
Acute. Now geriatric
In 1858-9 a new workhouse and infirmary for 500 inmates was built to the north of Mile End Road adjacent to the Jewish cemetery for the Maiden Lane Synagogue. A new road - Bancroft Road - was laid to provide access to it.
The Mile End Old Town Infirmary for the workhouse opened in 1883 on the site of the old infirmary and imbecile wards. The new infirmary consisted of three parallel three-storey blocks - the administration and services in the central one which was flanked by the male and the female ward pavilions. A Nurses Training School was established in 1892.
During WW1 the Infirmary became a military hospital and its facilities greatly improved.
In 1930, when it came under the control of the LCC, it had 550 beds. It was renamed Mile End Hospital.
It became part of the Stepney Group of hospitals when it joined the NHS in 1948. This Group merged with the Central Group in 1966 to become the East London Group.
In 1968 the London Hospital took over the management of both Mile End and St Clement's Hospitals. Mile End became the London Hospital (Mile End).
In another NHS reorganisation in 1974 it joined the Tower Hamlets Health District.
In 1990, when the London Hospital was granted a Royal title, as part of the group it became The Royal London Hospital (Mile End). In the same year, the Bethnal Green Hospital closed and its in-patients were transferred to the newly opened Bancroft Unit for the Care of the Elderly at Mile End.
In 1994 following the recommendations of the government report 'Making London Better', the Hospital management was transferred to the City & East London Family and Community Services (CELFACS) and the Hospital reverted to its original name of Mile End Hospital. Later, when the huge CELFACS Trust divided, it came under the management of Tower Hamlets Healthcare NHS Trust.
Until 1997 the Royal London Hospitals NHS Trust occupied two wards here.
Present status (January 2008)
The Mile End Hospital is now a community hospital under the auspices of Tower Hamlets Primary Care Trust and cares mainly for elderly patients. The £35m two-storey Tower Hamlets Centre for Mental Health, with 114 beds, opened in 2007. Patients and services have been transferred to it from St Clement's Hospital.
Update: February 2022
The Hospital is now part of the Barts Health NHS Trust (the Primary Care Trusts were abolished on 31st March 2013).
The first Hospital buildings seen when looking north up Bancroft Road
The main block behind the Trust offices and the main entrance drive
The Trust headquarters by the main entrance on the south side of the site
The Bancroft Unit for the Care of the Elderly, which opened in 1990
The workhouse before it became a hospital (undated postcard). It is now a Grade II listed building.
(Photograph reproduced by kind permission of
robmcrorie - flickr)
Cleminson F 1983 Beyond Recall - The Making of Mile End Hospital. London, Tower Hamlets Arts Project.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page