|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Miss Pollack's Hospital
50 Weymouth Street, W1G 6NT
|1914 - 1918
At the outbreak of war, the businessman Sir Robert Hudson Borwick (1845-1936) promised to pay £2,000 a year for the maintenance of a hospital for sick and wounded Colonial officers.
Two established nursing homes were chosen - one run by Miss Bertha Lancaster at No. 29, Wimpole Street and Miss Pollack's at No. 50, Weymouth Street.
The Nursing Home for Colonial Officers had 30-40 beds. Pending the arrival of Colonial patients, English officers were accommodated.
By 1917 the Nursing Home had become Miss Pollack's Hospital for Officers. It had 12 beds and was affiliated with Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital in Millbank.
It closed in 1918.
Present status (May 2010)
In September 1918 the Hospital became the Belgravia Nursing Home.
In 1922 Sir Robert Borwick was raised to the peerage as Baron Borwick of Hawkshead for the provision of "hospital treatment for the sick and wounded Colonial officers throughout the war".
The building has been converted into an apartment block.
No. 50 is at the corner of Beaumont Mews and Weymouth Street (above and below).
(Author unstated) 1914 Summary of work since outbreak of war to date. London, British Red Cross Society.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) 1918 Nursing echoes. British Journal of Nursing, 28th September, 198.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page