|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
1 Montpelier Road, Ealing, W5 2XP
|1915 - 1919 ?
In 1915, as war casualties mounted, Montpelier House, a privately run medical and surgical nursing home, became an extension of the Fourth London General Hospital. It was fully equipped and had 23 beds (which could be increased to 30).
The Hospital was staffed by 8 nurses, and No. 75 Mount Park Road was used to accommodate them. The wages of the domestic servants were paid by the proprietors of the nursing home.
In 1917 the Hospital was listed as having 80 beds for convalescent patients transferred from the Fourth London General Hospital. It may be that another property - No. 3 Montpelier Road - was acquired as part of the Hospital.Presumably the Hospital closed in 1919.
Present status (October 2018)
Although the Hospital is listed by the British Red Cross Society as being in Montpelier Road, the building is actually in Montpelier Avenue. Sometime before the beginning of WW1 Montpelier Road had been divided into two; the western part became Montpelier Avenue, whilst the eastern part remained Montpelier Road (with its houses being subsequently renumbered).
No. 1 Montpelier Avenue continued as a nursing home and nurses' cooperaion. By 1930 it had become the Montpelier Nursing Home Ltd., eventually expanding into No. 2 Montpelier Avenue. Both properties are owned by the Trust of St Benedict, Ealing Abbey.
No. 1 Montpelier Avenue is now offices for Links2work, providing training programmes (above and below).
No. 2 Montpelier Avenue is a House for Guests studying at Ealing Abbey.
|References (Accessed 28th October 2018)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospital treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Fenn CR 1919 Middlesex to Wit. London, St Catherine Press.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page