|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Moray Lodge Auxiliary Hospital
Moray Lodge, Campden Hill, Kensington, W8 7AF
|1915 - 1919
As WW1 progressed, the premises of the Special Hospital for Officers at 10 Palace Green became quite inadequate, and Mr. R.L. Harmsworth offered his house, Moray Lodge, and its three acres of grounds for use as an annexe.
The Moray Lodge Hospital opened in May 1915 with 30 beds for officers.
By the beginning of 1916 some 415 patients had been treated at both Hospitals, which were affiliated to Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital in Millbank. The upkeep of both institutions had greatly depleted the funds, but a generous grant from the Prince of Wales's Fund enabled the work to be continued.
The Hospital, which shared the same Commanding Officer as the nearby Aubrey House Hospital, closed in 1919.
Moray Lodge was demolished in 1955 and the Holland Park School built on its site in 1958.
Holland Park School, as seen from the south.
The site of Moray Lodge was to the north of this building.
Moray Lodge Sick Bay
During WW2 Moray Lodge and many of the large houses on Campden Hill were requisitioned for army purposes. By the end of the war, most of the buildings had deteriorated and fallen into disrepair.
Moray Lodge became a healthcare facility again in December 1947, when the Moray Lodge Sick Bay opened. It was intended for civil servants of the lower paid groups who had been appointed to London and lived in hostels and lodgings. It was administered by the Ministry of Health, but the British Red Cross Society was responsible for its day-to-day management. The Treasury Medical Officer and his staff acted as medical officers, although private doctors were free to visit their patients also. The Sick Bay did not admit patients with serious ailments or notifiable infectious diseases; its function was to deal only with the 'home nursing' type of case. It closed a year later when the LCC decided to buy many of the properties, including Moray Lodge, under a compulsory purchase order and to use the land for housing purposes.
The plan to build high-rise tower blocks was met with considerable local opposition and, in 1951, the LCC decided to build a school on the land instead. In the meantime the British Council arranged for Moray Lodge to become a temporary hostel with 60 beds for Colonial students who had come to London but were having difficulty finding accommodation.
(Author unstated) 1916 Care of the wounded. British Journal of Nursing, 5th February, 120.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) 1947 Moray Lodge Sick Bay. British Medical Journal 2 (4536), 983.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page