|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
New Barnet V.A.D. Hospital
St James Hall, 97 East Barnet Road, New Barnet, Herts EN4 6RF
|1915 - 1919
The New Barnet V.A.D. Hospital opened in March 1915, St James Hall having been lent for the purpose by the Parish Committee.
The Hospital had 20 beds and was run by the Herts/32 Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.). It was affiliated to the Barnet War Hospital.
By 1917 it had 22 beds for sick and wounded servicemen.
The Hospital closed in 1919.
Present status (July 2012)
The building is now the Barnet Subud Hall, managed by the Subud community.
St James Hall, now the Barnet Subud Centre.
The Hall had opened on 27th February 1906, having cost £2,000 to build. It can hold 300 people.
St James Church is to the north of its former Hall.
(Author unstated) 1915 Summary of Work Since the Outbreak of War to Date. London, British Red Cross Society.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page