|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Hospital for Children
Coopers Lane, Northaw, Potters Bar, Herts EN6 4PS
|1950 - 1970
In 1950 Northaw House Hospital for Children opened as a preconvalescent unit for children from the Royal Northern Hospital. It had 36 beds and was administered by the Northern Group Hospital Management Committee, part of the North East Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board.
By 1954, when the Hospital had 40 beds, its running costs were £14,331 a year. By 1958 these had risen to £16,829.
In 1963, as a consequence of the fusion of the Archway and Northern Groups (which became the North London Group), control of the Hospital was transferred to the Barnet Group Hospital Management Committee.
In 1963 a 'Mother and Child Unit' was established to provide support for inexperienced young mothers and their babies. Improvements were made to all the wards and, from 1964, the Hospital began to accept patients from a large area - from central London to Watford.
From June 1965 a ward with 6 cots was adapted for small mentally handicapped children.
The Hospital closed in 1970 with 36 beds.
Present status (June 2009)
The Grade II listed building now houses the offices of the Architects Co-Partnership.
The entrance to the driveway off Coopers Lane.
Northaw House, as seen from Judge's Hill on the north (above and below). It was built in 1698, with extensions added throughout the 18th century.
(Author unstated) 1962 The 'disappearing hospitals'. British Medical Journal 1 (5274), 323-331.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page