Oakenshaw Auxiliary Hospital
Oakenshaw, Oakhill, Surbiton, Surrey KT6
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1914 - 1919

Convalescent (military)
The Oakenshaw Auxiliary Hospital opened on 18th November 1914 in the private home of Mr and Mrs F. Marden Ranger.  It had 46 beds, 12 of which were occupied by December.

The Hospital was affiliated to the Fourth London General Hospital and provided general and surgical treatment for disabled soldiers.  The nursing staff consisted of a Sister-in-Charge, 2 Sisters, a masseuse and 14 nursing members of the local Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.), of which Mrs Katherine Sarah Marden Ranger was the Commandant.  Two other members of the V.A.D. undertook general duties.

During 1917 some 161 patients were admitted, and 40 operations were performed.

The Hospital closed in April 1919.

Present status (August 2010)

The house has been demolished and Oakenshaw Close occupies its site.

Site of Oakenshaw
Oakenshaw Close.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom.  London, H.M.S.O.

(Author unstated) 1918 Red Cross Work in Surrey during 1917, 5th Annual Report.  British Red Cross Society, Surrey Branch.

(Author unstated) 1920 Red Cross work in Surrey 1918-1919.  British Red Cross Society Surrey Branch.


Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page