|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Orme Lodge Day Hospital
2-4 Gordon Avenue, Stanmore, Middlesex HA7 3QD
|1946 - 2005
Orme Lodge, a late Victorian house which had been used by the Royal Air Force during WW2, was bought by Middlesex County Council in 1946 for use as an old people's home.
The Lodge became part of the NHS in 1948. By 1971 it had become a geriatric subunit of Edgware General Hospital. It had 22 beds.
Following a reorganisation of the NHS it became part of the Central and North West London Mental Health Trust, who used the property as a Day Centre for the elderly and for the Harrow Learning Disability Clinic.
It closed in 2005.
Present status (May 2008)
In December 2006 Orme Lodge was sold at auction by the Central and North West London Mental Heath Trust for £1.55m.
Update: In August 2009 Harrow Council granted the new owners planning permission to convert the Lodge into seven apartments.
Orme Lodge, 2 Gordon Avenue.
The adjacent property, 4 Gordon Avenue, once housed Harrow Mencap.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page