Ormonde House Hospital
High Road, Buckhurst Hill, Essex
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1914 - 1918 ?

Convalescent (military)
The Ormonde House Hospital opened in 1914 with 31 beds.

The local residents of Buckhurst Hill provided entertainments for the convalescent servicemen.

In January 1918 the Hospital received patients from Hanover House Hospital, which had closed.

The Hospital presumably closed at the end of the war in 1918.

This building is recorded as having been used as an auxiliary military hospital during WW1.  No further details have (as yet) come to light.

If you have any information regarding the history of the Ormonde House Hospital, please contact:


Present status (May 2011)

Ormonde House has been demolished.  Its site is now occupied by two closes - Forest Side and Ormonde Rise.
Site of Ormonde House  Site of Ormonde House
The original entrance to the house is now Forest Side, off the High Road.  The site of the house is at the bottom of Forest Side.

Site of Ormonde House
Ormonde Rise was built on the site of the gardens.
Ormonde House
Ormonde House at around the time of WW1.

Photograph by courtesy of Mrs Maureen Carter.
(Author unstated) 1916 Treat to wounded soldiers.  Woodford Times, 2nd August.

Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page