|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Princess Henry of Battenberg's
Hospital for Officers
30 Hill Street, Berkeley Square, Mayfair, W1J 5NW
|1914 - 1918
At the outbreak of WW1, Jeanne, Lady Coats, widow of the J & P Coats cotton sewing thread magnate, placed her house in Hill Street at the disposal of Princess Henry of Battenberg for use as an auxiliary hospital for Army and Navy officers, including those of the Territorial Force.
Dr A.J. Rice-Oxley, the Physician-in-Ordinary to the Princess, was appointed the Medical Superintendent, while Sir Frederick Eve, Advisory Surgeon to the War Office, became its surgeon.
Princess Henry of Battenberg's Hospital for Officers opened in August 1914. It had 16 beds, an operating theatre and an X-ray apparatus. The King and Queen visited in September. The beds were all occupied by 19th December 1914.
The Hospital presumably closed in 1918.
Present status (June 2010)
The building has been converted into two residences.
The building in on the corner of Hill Street and Chesterfield Hill (left), with the entrance in Chesterfield Hill (right).
The entrance door.
(Author unstated) 1914 Hospital for Officers. British Medical Journal 2 (2779), 370.
(Author unstated) 1916 Princess Henry of Battenberg's Hospital. Lancet 188 (4860), 732.
Dennison M 2007 The Last Princess. The Devoted Life of Queen Victoria's Youngest Daughter. London, Weidenfeld & Nicolson.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page