|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Reigate Joint Isolation Hospital
Whitebushes, Redhill, Surrey
|1885 - 1950
The Reigate District Isolation Hospital opened in 1885.
In the 1930s it amalgamated with the neighbouring Reigate Borough Isolation Hospital, built to the north on an adjacent plot in 1900, which had 50 beds. They were renamed the Reigate Joint Isolation Hospital.
The Hospital consisted of an administration bock and separate ward blocks for patients with scarlet fever, diphtheria and typhoid, a laundry and offices.
In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS under the control of the Redhill Group Hospital Management Committee, part of the South West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board.
It closed in 1950. when the site was transferred to University College Hospital for use as a tropical diseases hospital - the Jordan Hospital.
Present status (February 2011)
The Jordan Hospital closed in 1968 and the land was sold for redevelopment in the early 1970s. The site now contains housing.
The Hospital buildings would have been located just beyond Green Lane, along what is now Spencer Way.
Looking down Jordans Close, site of the southern part of the Hospital.
|References (Accessed 20th May 2016)
to alphabetical list
Return to home page