|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Scio House Hospital for Officers
Portsmouth Road, Putney Heath, SW15
|1918 - 1981
At the end of WW1 Scio House became the British Red Cross Hospital for Officers suffering from chronic illness, such as lung damage from tuberculosis or gassing, or from injury acquired while in service during the war.
In 1929 the British Red Cross Society decided to dissolve its administration and management of the Hospital, and it was taken over by the House Committee, thereby ensuring continuity of the work. It became the Scio House Hospital for Officers, a nursing home.
In 1948 the Hospital was disclaimed by the NHS.
It closed in 1981.
Despite opposition to the plan, Scio House was demolished early in 1982. Its site is now occupied by Lynden Gate, a large walled and gated development of 70 neo-Georgian houses.
The gated entrance to Lynden Gate. The estate is divided into two sections - Seaton Close on the right and Beaufort Close on the left.
The Lynden Gate estate.
Scio Pond remains. It is to the south of the Lynden Gate development.
(Author unstated) 1929 The Order of St John and the British Red Cross Society. British Medical Journal 1 (3569), 1017.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page