|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
South Hill Wood
Westmoreland Road, Bromley, Kent BR2 0PD
|1914 - 1918
In October 1914 Mr Thomas Charles Dewey, a successful businessman and local politician, allowed the music pavilion in the grounds of his home, South Hill Wood House, to be used as an auxiliary hospital.
The South Hill Wood Auxiliary Hospital was an annexe to the Masonic Hall V.A.D. Hospital. It had 12 beds in two wards. Its first patients were wounded Belgian servicemen, followed later by the British.
The Hospital presumably closed in 1918.
Present status (November 2010)
The music pavilion, located by Westmoreland Road, was almost completely destroyed by a V1 rocket during WW2. It was rebuilt in 1954 as a bowls pavilion when the gardens of South Hill Wood House became a public park. The surviving 1902 neo-Georgian facade and Dutch gable roof were incorporated into the new building.
However, the pavilion, built on shallow foundations on London clay, subsided and became unsafe. The cost of underpinning and repairing the damaged building - some £200,000 - proved prohibitive. It was demolished around 2006.
South Hill Wood House, at No. 1 South Hill Road, has been converted into an apartment block. It is listed by the Council as a building of local historical and architectural interest.
The Council compulsorily purchased the gardens of the House for use as a public park in 1952.
The gates of South Hill Wood were installed in 1953.
7th September 2013)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Creswick P, Pond GS, Ashton PH 1915 Kent's Care for the Wounded. London, Hodder & Stoughton.
Walker J 1979 The British Red Cross in the Bromley area 1910-1919. Bromley Local History 4, 17-23.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page