Southwark Red Cross Hospital
119 Kennington Park Road,  SE11 4JS
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1918 - 1919

Convalescent (military)

The Southwark Red Cross Hospital was opened officially on 17th July 1918 by Princess Marie Louise.  It was a Class B convalescent hospital affiliated to the Fourth London General Hospital.  It had 40 beds and was devoted mostly to  servicemen with serious head and eye injuries.

The nursing staff consisted of a paid Matron, two Sisters and a cook, who were assisted by 50 part-time members of the local Voluntary Aid Detachment.

The Hospital closed on 28th February 1919.  Some 174 patients had been admitted.  None had died.

Present status (May 2010)

The building is now Sackville Court, a small apartment block.

119 Kennington Park Road    119 Kennington Park Road
Sackville Court.
(Author unstated) 1925 The British Red Cross Society. County of London Branch Annual Reports 1914-1924. London, Harrison & Sons.


Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page