|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
St Dunstan's Hostel (annexe)
40 Lee Terrace, Blackheath, SE3 9UD
|1917 - ?1921
In 1916 Mr A. Kilby offered the gift of a large house close to Blackheath Common to the National Institute for the Blind. In November of that year the Institute lent the property to St Dunstan's Hostel for use as an annexe.
The annexe opened in 1917, financed by St Dunstan's. Spacious and admirably fitted, the house at No. 40 Lee Terrace had 3 acres of garden. It was used for the temporary accommodation of convalescent men who, whilst not requiring a long sojourn at one of the annexes at Brighton or Torquay, nevertheless needed a quiet, restful time before tackling the serious task of learning how to be blind. By this stage of the war, due to the greater use of bombs, grenades and high explosives, as well as being blinded many men suffered more extensive injuries than before - and thus needed a greater period of rest and recuperation.
Some 80 men received training, and were taught basket-making, typewriting and Braille. For entertainment, dances and concerts were held.
The annexe closed when Miss Ommanney, the Commandant, resigned.
Present status (August 2009)
The house is now part of Blackheath Hospital.
No. 40 Lee Terrace.
6th July 2014)
(Author unstated) 1917 Report of St Dunstan's Hostel for Blinded Sailors and Soldiers for the Year Ending 31st March 1917.
(Author unstated) 1925 The British Red Cross Society. County of London Annual Reports 1914-1924. London, Harrison & Sons.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page