|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Thavies Inn Infirmary
Robin Hood Court, Thavies Inn, Holborn, EC4
|1917 - 1932
By the second decade of the 20th century the effects of venereal disease were considered grave and far-reaching, with a heavy cost to the community in terms of actual or potential population and loss of earnings. Efforts were made to find an early and efficient treatment to bring it under control.
In 1916 the Local Government Board considered removing women with venereal disease from maternity wards. To this end the Board negotiated with the City of London Guardians to use the Union Infirmary at Robin Hood Court, Thavies Inn, for this purpose.
The Thavies Inn Infirmary opened in September 1917 as a venereal disease hospital for 20 parturient women and their infants. An Out-Patients Department was also set up for follow-up appointments once patients had been discharged.
In 1931 the Infirmary was absorbed by Sheffield Street Hospital. The remaining cases were transferred there in November 1932.
Thavies Inn, originally a cul-de-sac, now turns into New Street roughly on a line to the west of Robin Hood Court. There is a passage roughly on the same line with the east part of Robin Hood Court. The area has been completely redeveloped and there is no trace of the infirmary building.
The entrance to Thavies Inn from the north.
The passageway close to the line of Robin Hood Court.
New Street and Thavies Inn from the south, as seen from Bartlett Court.
|The term 'venereal disease' has now been generally replaced by 'sexually transmitted infections' (STIs).
|References (Accessed 6th June 2016)
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page