|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Town Hall Hospital
Highbridge Street, Waltham Abbey, Essex EN9 1DE
|1914 - 1919
In 1914 Waltham Holy Cross Urban District Council offered the Town Hall to the War Office for use as an auxiliary hospital.
The Town Hall Hospital opened in December 1914 with the main hall as a ward containing 40 beds, 32 of which were immediately occupied. The Hospital also contained a Day Room, an Operating Room, offices, storerooms and a kitchen. It was managed by the Essex/16 Voluntary Aid Detachment and was affiliated to Colchester Military Hospital.
During 1915 some 351 cases were admitted, 56 of them suffering from mental disorder.
By 1917, because of the rise in war casualties, the number of beds in the main hall was increased to 50. Later, a hutted ward with 14 beds and a bathroom was added.
The Hospital presumably closed in 1919.
Present status (March 2012)
The Town Hall is still in use by Waltham Abbey Town Council.
Waltham Abbey Town Hall (above and below).
The foundation stone, laid in 1904.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Loyd AK (ed) 1917 The British Red Cross Society: The County Branches, Vol. 1. London, British Red Cross Society.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page