|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Wanstead Isolation Hospital
Empress Avenue, Aldersbrook, E12 5HW
|1893 - 1936
The Wanstead Isolation Hospital, built by the Wanstead Local Board of Health, opened in Empress Avenue, Aldersbrook, in 1893. It was administered by the Wanstead Urban District Council (UDC) from 1894 until 1934, when Wanstead amalgamated with Woodford UDC and joined the Waltham Joint Hospital Board.
During WW1 some 12 to 16 beds were reserved for wounded and sick servicemen.The Hospital closed in 1936.
Present status (August 2008)
Nothing remains of the former Hospital. The buildings were destroyed by bombs during the war. The main part of the site has returned to woodland and is now Aldersbrook Wood. The Aldersbrook Riding School occupies much of the rest of the land and the western part has been redeveloped for housing.
Aldersbrook Wood now mainly occupies the site of the former isolation hospital.
Perch Pond is at the northern boundary.
The Aldersbrook Riding School.
Perry Lodge, Arran Drive, a Care Home for assisted living
The western part of the site on Arran Drive now contains housing.
Morrison K, Robey A 1999 One Hundred Years of Suburbia: The Aldersbrook Estate in Wanstead 1899-1999. London, Royal Commission on Historic Monuments in England and London.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page