|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Wesleyan Hall V.A.D. Hospital
Starts Hill Avenue, Farnborough, Kent BR6 7AS
In October 1914 the Trustees of the Wesleyan Church Hall offered the building to the Kent/80 Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.) for use as an auxiliary military hospital.
The V.A.D opened the Hospital on 16th October, within 12 hours after it had received orders to mobilise.
The Wesleyan Hall V.A.D. Hospital had 17 beds for sick and wounded servicemen.
It closed on 31st December 1918. During its operational lifetime, 536 patients had been treated.
Present status (October 2011)
The premises, now known as the Farnborough Methodist Centre, have become a Community Centre.
The Farnborough Methodist Centre is currently for sale.
The Farnborough Methodist Centre (above and below).
2nd September 2013)
Creswick P, Pond GS, Ashton PH 1915 Kent's Care for the Wounded. London, Hodder & Stoughton.
Walker J 1979 The British Red Cross in the Bromley area 1910-1919. Bromley Local History 4, 17-23.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page