Bakers Almshouses

Lyme Grove, Hackney, E9 6PY


In 1828 the Bakers Company purchased a plot of land in what was then called St Thomas's Passage (later renamed Lyme Grove) in order to build 12 almshouses for the benefit of its poor elderly freemen and their wives.

The Bakers Almshouses opened later in the same year. The buildings were arranged around three sides of a quad. Each of the three sides contained a block of four almshouses. Each block had two central doors and one door at each end of the building.

In 1867 the residents received an annual stipend of £20.

The almshouses were demolished in 1931.


Current status

The site is now occupied by Shakespeare House, a 4-storey apartment block built by the council in the 1930s. In 2014 the building was completely refurbished by the Islington & Shoreditch Housing Association to provide 18 affordable residences, replacing the former 24 cramped apartments.

N.B. Photographs obtained in May 2020

Bakers Almshouses

Shakespeare House.

References (Accessed 5th January 2021)

Low S 1862 The Charities of London. London, Sampson Low, son, and Marston. 177.
https:// (1) (2)

Last updated 5th January 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page