Benn's Walk Almshouses

Michelsdale Drive, Richmond TW9 2SY


The almshouses were built in 1983 by the Michel's Almshouse Charity on land which had been bequeathed to it by William Smethet in 1727. The site, which had been vacant since the late 1950s, had previously been occupied by Benn's Cottages.

The almshouses consisted of five bungalows, four of which were single-bedroomed dwellings. The other contained two studio apartments.

In 1987 Michel's Almshouse Charity became part of the Richmond Charities.

In 2002 the two studio aparments were combined to become a single-bedroom residence.


Current status

The almshouses continue to be owned and maintained by the Richmond Charities.

N.B. Photographs obtained in May 2020

Benn's Walk

Michelsdale Drive leads to Benn's Walk, a footpath which runs along the front of the almshouses.

Benn's Walk

Looking westwards along Benn's Walk.

References (Accessed 26th January 2021)

Last updated 24th February 2021

Click here to return to Almshouses of London alphabetical list
Click here to return to home page