|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Bleakdown Golf Club, Sheerwater Road, West Byfleet,
Surrey KT14 6AA
|1916 - 1919
The Bleakdown Auxiliary Military Hospital opened in October 1916. It was located in the dining room of the Clubhouse of the Bleakdown Golf Club (a room large enough to seat 140 people).
The Hospital had 38 beds and was affiliated to the First London General Hospital and, later, to the Fifth London General Hospital (St Thomas' Hospital).
In 1917 the number of beds was increased to 46.
The Commandant of the Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.) running the Hospital was Ethel Locke-King, D.B.E. (1864-1956), and the staff consisted of a Matron, a trained nurse, a masseuse (physiotherapist) with 2 living-in members of the V.A.D. and several part-time ones. General treatment was provided.
The Hospital closed in October 1919.
Present status (June 2011)
In 1922 the members of the Golf Club bought the course. It was renamed the West Byfleet Golf Club.
West Byfleet Golf Club from the northeast (above) and the southeast (below).
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) 1917 Red Cross work in Surrey during 1917. 5th Annual Report, British Red Cross Society, Surrey Branch.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page