Auxiliary Home Hospital
 Bromley Palace, Stockwell Close, Bromley, Kent BR1 3UH
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1914 - 1915

Convalescent (military)
In October 1914, during the early days of WW1, Mr Coles Child (1862-1929), a wealthy merchant and philanthropist, gave up part of his residence, Bromley Palace, for use as a temporary annexe to the Masonic Hall Auxiliary Hospital until more permanent arrangements could be made.  (Earlier, in 1897,  Mr Coles Child had donated part of White Hart Field as a site for the Phillips Memorial Homoeopathic Hospital.)

The Hospital had 8 beds and nursing care was undertaken by Mrs Coles Child and her daughters.

It closed in 1915 when the Auxiliary Home Hospital opened at Elstree in  Westmoreland Road.

Present status (November 2010)

Much of the parkland belonging to Bromley Palace has been sold for housing development and road construction.  In the 1930s the Palace became a girls' school.

In 1982 it was purchased by Bromley Council for use as a Civic Centre.  It is now the Old Palace, a venue for wedding and civic ceremonies.

Bromley Old Palace
The northern elevation of Bromley Palace.

Bromley Old Palace
Bromley Palace from the south.  The Grade II listed building dates from 1775, with later additions made in the 1860s
Creswick P, Pond GS, Ashton PH 1915 Kent's Care for the Wounded.  London, Hodder & Stoughton.

Walker J 1979 The British Red Cross in the Bromley area 1910-1919.  Bromley Local History 4, 17-23.

Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page