|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Elstree V.A.D. Hospital
Elstree, 41 Westmoreland Road, Bromley, Kent BR2 0TG
|1915 - 1918
When the Auxiliary Home Hospital at Whitegarth closed in 1915, Mr Frederick Medcalf offered Elstree, a house nearby in Westmoreland Road, for use as a hospital instead.
The Elstree V.A.D. Hospital, which was managed by the Kent/52 Voluntary Aid Detachment, had 24 beds and a fully equipped operating theatre. It was affiliated to the Brook War Hospital and was particularly convenient for ambulance trains arriving at Bromley South station.
When the Hospital opened, the Auxiliary Home Hospitals at Bromley Palace, Langley Wood, 21 Holwood Road and 88 Hayes Road closed.
The Hospital presumably closed in 1918.
Present status (January 2011)
The house has been demolished and its site is now occupied by new housing with new roads.
The site of the house and its gardens in Westmoreland Road.
Stamford Drive (above) marks the western boundary of the property, while the eastern is marked by Rutland Gate (below).
7th September 2013)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Creswick P, Pond GS, Ashton PH 1915 Kent's Care for the Wounded. London, Hodder & Stoughton.
Walker J 1979 The British Red Cross in the Bromley area 1910-1919. Bromley Local History 4, 17-23.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page